With a youth and adult sector population of more than 35,000 students, the English Montreal School Board (EMSB) is the largest English public school board in Quebec. Established on July 1, 1998, when the province created new boards along linguistic lines. Our network consists of 73 schools and centres. It is the elected council of commissioners which runs the affairs of the EMSB. This 11 member body oversees a budget of $400 million. The funds are supplied through grants from the provincial government and, to a lesser extent, through local school taxation. EMSB schools and centres work in conjunction with governing boards, which are made up of an equal number of parents and staff, along with the principal or centre director. In addition, representatives of the community and students in the second cycle of high school are members of the governing board. There is also an EMSB Parents' Committee.
The mission of the English Montreal School Board is to support its schools and centres in their efforts to educate students within a caring, safe and inclusive learning community.
To fulfill its mission the EMSB will:
- Recognize and value the diversity of its community;
- Provide all students with the opportunity to develop their talents and achieve their personal best;
- Recognize the skills and competencies of its employees and support their continuous professional development;
- Encourage collaboration among the various educational partners;
- Use resources effectively and innovatively to help schools and centres focus on the mission of instruction, socialization, and qualification;
- Encourage lifelong learning and critical thinking.
The EMSB mission fosters the development of educated and responsible persons who will assume their position as active members of a democratic society.